A Note from Tara Thomas
"I have had the pleasure of serving as Gloucester County Treasurer for the last 23 years. Service to my community in a position like this is both an honor and a privilege, and I am excited to seek re-election in 2023!
When the opportunity to run for Treasurer came up in 1999, my husband, Brook, and I decided to go for it, and the adventure we started then continues to be an incredible journey. Many of you will remember that his mother, Barbara, drove me all over Gloucester County for that initial 7-week campaign, and many of you all (who had no prior interest in politics!) stepped up to help. In 2007, we added a special campaign helper, and since then Haley has joined us touring the voting precincts most Election Days!
I am again asking for your support as I campaign to remain as your Treasurer."
- January 2000 - Present : Treasurer, County of Gloucester
- April 1996 - September 1999: Assistant Vice President, Commonwealth Information Services, Newport News, Virginia
- June 1993 - April 1996: Sales Assistant, Cybernetics, Yorktown, Virginia
- Treasurers' Association of Virginia, Past President and Current Legislative Chair
- Virginia Association of Locally Elected Constitutional Officers, Member
- Virginia Government Finance Officers' Association, Member
- Gloucester Community Foundation, Former Director
- Gloucester County Republican Committee, Member
- Guinea Jubilee Committee, Co-Chair
- International Order of Job's Daughters, Past Bethel Guardian and Majority Member
- Peninsula Community Theatre, Former Board Member and Treasurer
- Severn Republican Women, Member
- Gloucester Educational Foundation, Member
- Bachelor of Business Administration, Finance - May 1992
College of William and Mary
- Master Governmental Treasurer Certification - Fall 2002, Re-certified 2006, 2010, 2014, 2018
Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service at University of Virginia
- Virginia Government Finance Officers' Association Certificate - August 2006
- Recipient of 2016 Treasurers' Association of Virginia Commonwealth Award
- Recipient of 2005 Treasurers' Association of Virginia Treasurer of the Year
- Recipient of 2005 Outstanding Youth Advocate Award from Gloucester County Youth Commission
- Recipient of 2002 Treasurers' Association of Virginia President's Award
A History of Excellence
"I have had the pleasure of serving as Gloucester County Treasurer for the last 23 years. Service to my community in a position like this is both an honor and a privilege!" -TARA THOMAS
- +23 years of experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance from W&M
- Master Governmental Treasurer Certification from Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service at UVA
- Treasurer's Office accredited since 2003
- Real estate collection rates in excess of 99%
- Recognized by the Treasurers’ Association of VA
Personal property collection rates since 2016: at due date average of 83% collected, at one year after due date average of 96.7% collected. Requirement for Office Accreditation through Treasurers' Association of Virginia is 90% collected at the 1 year mark
- Leadership in state association including Education and Legislative committees, President of state association in 2008-09
- Recognized as Outstanding Youth Advocate by Gloucester County in 2005
- Volunteerism with the Guinea Jubilee Committee, Gloucester Community Foundation, Gloucester Educational Foundation, Severn Republican Women, Gloucester Daffodil Show, and as pianist in several Gloucester County schools & organizations on the Middle Peninsula
- Majority of Deputy Treasurers consistently recognized as Master Governmental Deputy Treasurers
Proudly Serving for 23 Years!
In her time in the Treasurer’s Office, Tara Thomas has brought leadership, superior and friendly service, and a dedication to excellence. These qualities are apparent in the continued recognition the office has received under her leadership from the Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service at the University of Virginia and the Treasurers’ Association of Virginia.
& Recognized Accreditations
Tara Thomas has been certified as a Master Governmental Treasurer since 2002, earning re-certification most recently in November 2018, and the office has been accredited since 2003. Tara herself has also been recognized several times over her career with special awards to include Treasurer of the Year and the Commonwealth Award, which are both given in recognition of excellence in service to the state Treasurers’ Association.
Tara Thomas' ongoing goal in the Treasurer’s Office is to collect the taxes in a manner that is fair and equitable to all citizens. Doing so requires skill and knowledge, as well as sensitivity. "It is important that I be well-versed in the laws of the Commonwealth and Gloucester County, and be willing and able to apply them to the best of my ability," she says.
EXCEPTIONAL CUSTOMER SERVICE
Under Tara Thomas' Leadership
Under Tara Thomas' leadership, the Treasurer's office will continue to offer an exceptional level of customer service to Gloucester County citizens. Over the years, the entire tax payment process in the County has improved through technological advances and expanded payment options, and Tara anticipates ongoing citizen service enhancements with new tax and receipting software.
"Paying taxes is a necessary evil to most, and we strive to make the process one that is as enjoyable as possible! My staff members are courteous and knowledgeable, and they are true public servants," Tara says.
Sign up here to become part of the TEAM TARA. We will contact you about getting involved to support Tara Thomas for Treasurer, including a yard sign, bumper sticker, hosting a fundraising event or contributing to the effort by making a donation!
Support Tara Thomas
Click below to make a donation to Tara Thomas for Treasurer -or- mail a donation to 9309 Glass Rd, Hayes VA 23072.
Donation$5.00 - $500.00Tara Thomas for Treasurer would love your support to the campaign efforts in 2019!SelectQuantity